Wednesday 18 September 2013

Day 9 (Thursday August 1, 2013)


Day 9 (Thursday): This has been one of the best days since I have been here. I started the day off really badly. I threw up a few times because of my antimalarial pill. I took it easy, and Danielle and I decided to combined our classes to do drama about water pollution due to my feeling under the weather. The kids absolutely loved it. I ended up learning a few Wolof words from my class. I have a hard time remembering the words because the kids get so excited and tell me one word, and then another word, and then they tell me those words in every language they know. I will get the hang of it though!



We then did a scavenger hunt with the kids, which they loved. We tried to get all the teachers involved, and the students had to find us and do a task for us that needed to be signed off on. All the teachers thought it was such a great idea. It made me feel very proud at that moment because they thought we were teaching the kids in ways that they had never seen before, even though these are such common activities at home.

I feel like I am being more comfortable with the students, and am able to enjoy my time with them more and more each day. I then stayed after classes and the students wanted to take pictures with me. I loved seeing them so happy when they had pictures taken of them, and then looking back at all the pictures that they were in. The little things really matter, which is so nice to see. I told them they can have my email at the end of school so that I can send them the pictures by email. I think they will be proud to have memories like that to show their families, because I know I will feel proud showing their pictures to my own family at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment