Wednesday 18 September 2013

Day 6 (Monday July 29, 2013)

I'm hoping this will not get confusing for you all. Once again, I am posting today and adding in my thoughts and feelings, but I kept journals the whole time I was in The Gambia so that I could share my stories and experiences with you. I have altered the journals a bit, but for the most part they are my direct thoughts and feelings on the said day.

Day 6 (Monday): Today was orientation at the school for everyone. We started off the day listening to the rules and expectations, as well as introductions. My heart pounded as 100 gambian students stared at me blankly as we were called experts of water and sanitation… not quite. At this moment I am hoping that if at any time my study skills paid off, I hope it is now, because these kids seem to know what they are talking about!

Everyone was very welcoming. Amanda, Chris, and I went into a class and introduced ourselves and the programs. We were shy during the first class, but by the end we were trying to get them to use their drama voices, and questioning them more and more. Chris stayed behind and talked to one class for the same amount of time that we talked to 2 classes. We laughed a lot. We then went to the staff room to eat lunch in private. I still feel so bad even thinking about drinking water in front of any of the students or teachers because it is Ramadan. I think each one of us almost fainted a few times, but energy bars have been our lifesavers. I don't mean by this that we weren't aloud to eat; we were told many of times by the NSGA that it was ok to eat in front of everyone and we would not offend them. I just did not feel like it was fair to the staff or students to wave food in their faces. They are already so tired and hungry.

They closed school early. We relaxed and made bracelets for the students and teaching plans all afternoon. I am having anxiety just thinking about it. I think I am now very prepared and just over the moon excited to get to know my junior class. Hopefully by the end of this process I will be more relaxed and confident in myself, because right now I feel like the pressure is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment