Sunday 21 July 2013

Some More Information

I have had a lot of changes to the program since I started. First off, we are leaving in TWO DAYS. So I will be gone from July 23rd till August 29th in The Gambia, and I will be in London, England until the 3rd of September. We are only going to be in one school now, however, there are going to be 100 children from across the country (the smallest country in Africa) who will be coming to do summer school with us. Mostly everything is packed, and we are ready to go. 

The goals that the Nova Scotia Gambia Association have set forth are.. 

-to increase knowledge about water borne diseases
-to educate about healthy water habits to prevent the spread of water borne disease
-raise awareness of water scarcity
-promote safe ways of conserving water
-provide educational activities for students

These are great goals, but I have so many more that I wish to accomplish. Some of those being... 

-learn new communication strategies for language/cultural barriers
-to use the least amount of lecturing as possible
-to know my teaching material inside and out
-and most importantly to live with purpose : ) (AGD) 

I will follow this post by updating our rough copy of the lesson plan that I put together. This lesson plan will change on a daily basis. I am hoping that you will comment on ideas that you have for teaching, and activities and games, etc. This blog is for you to help me, and me to help you in your future endeavours on what may or may not work when teaching other cultures. 

Sam xo

No comments:

Post a Comment